Sunday, April 30, 2006

Some of the drawings I do are for practicing certain techniques. In this case, a 1994 pen and ink drawing of a flower using a mix technique of “lined” outlines and shading called “stippling.” What is stippling? Wiki's definition of stippling is “the technique of using small dots to simulate varying degrees of solidity or shading." I really like the aspect of giving my art dimensions. The dimensions may not be mathematically correct as you saw in my perspective drawing on 4/26/2006 but it creates varying degrees of depth that I really enjoy applying. Likewise, I do not care for it to be perfect where it looks like a photograph. Artists who seek perfection in everything are those who cannot attain it in anything. It’s all within the eyes of the beholder.

No comments: